Northern California based bass music producer (and Full Crate Records co-owner) The Goon was kind enough to share his track “Warp”, which was previously featured exclusively on the Full Crate Vol. 2 physical compilation. This deep, yet almost grimy, one is a tune we’re proud to host.
Thought it was about time I got my act together and uploaded the latest Dusk FM archive, so here it is: some new and some old tunes played - just a big jumble of sounds, if you like jumbles of sounds - this is for you…
Managed to bag this on white label a couple of weeks ago and the whole EP has been on repeat since
Skepta - Ace Hood Flow
There are a few Skepta tunes I’m really liking at the moment, but this has to be a percy
Boofy - Since When
Been rinsing this for some time now so glad to see it getting a release soon, Boof has been killing it recently - watch out for his 4D mix in the next couple of weeks
Breen - Walk
Another interesting tune from Leeds producer Breen: he’s been getting a lot of DJ support lately from Dusk + Blackdown, Wen, DJ Barely Legal and Kahn, so it’s safe to say big things are to come (check his production showcase mix from October last year for more - http://soundcloud.com/breen/production-showcase-002-oct)
Big Narstie - Smoking and Drinking
Narstie is an all-round don, probably one of the funniest guys in grime I’ve ever seen (contrary to his name of course) - this tune is one of my all-time favourites
Ribz - Shot To Get Paid
Ever since I heard this in Kahn’s MOTW for Mixmag, I’ve dropped it so many times I’ve lost count now - Ribz goes in hard
DJ XTC - Functions On The Low
Also known as Ruff Sqwad’s ‘Functions On The Low' (released on their No Hats No Hoods white label classics compilation), this instrumental is a favourite among favourites as I love most of their stuff
Big Narstie - Spun A Web
Managed to get this on white label recently as well (produced by P Jam), nice take on the original Coldplay tune, but with Narstie, Solo & Demon on the mic - what could be better?!
Dizzee Rascal - Hoe
Wen’s refix of this classic is huge, but after looking up the original instrumental I can safely say there was hope for Dizzee back in the day - not so much now…
Wen - Sway (Epoch Remix)
You know when Wen and Epoch get on something together it’s gonna be fire and this is no exception - Epoch bringing the tribal flavour to this big Wen production
One thing that’s always got to me is all the people pushing the music/artists we all already know about, so I’ve put together this little list of 10 of my most favourite producers at the moment who are also, in my eyes, often overlooked..
I know a lot of people will have different views so this is a personal preference..
In no particular order -
1. Six - this guy has done collabs with the likes of Syte and Reamz and currently has releases on Mindstep and Soulstep; watch out for future projects is all I can say… (http://soundcloud.com/six_6)
2. Jafu - currently getting a lot of attention and one of my most favourite producers from the past year, if you haven’t heard any music from him then I’d seriously advise you do - every production is flawless… (http://soundcloud.com/jafu)
3. Geode - his latest EP (set for release later this month on Innamind) has been raising quite a few ears recently, but he has been producing long before that as well - again each production is absolute vibes… (http://soundcloud.com/geode-1)
4. Mentha - ever since I hit him up about getting on the xmas EP at the end of last year I’ve been rinsing his tunes and he has a lot more in stock for this year too with his label Subaltern Records, whose first release consists of a collab between bossman Mentha and Murk entitled ‘1992' and a remix from Ipman on the B side which has been gaining endless radio support as of late… (http://soundcloud.com/mentha)
5. Pressa - been a favourite of mine for a long time now, combining loads of different, flavourful elements into his music and mixes… (http://soundcloud.com/pressa)
6. Haack - another one of those mystery men; first came to my attention via a free EP from US based label Sub Lab and has recently featured on the latest Sub Pressure compilation… (http://soundcloud.com/haack)
7. Ooko - underrated don of the 130 sound - when I used to listen to GetDarker religiously I remember Beezy spinning a few of his tunes and his ‘SexSells' EP (out now on Mimm Recordings) is a percy release of mine… (http://soundcloud.com/ooko)
8. Inkarv - always coming through with soulful productions, his most recent EP on Vulcan Audio demonstrates that element of his sound perfectly… (http://soundcloud.com/inkarv)
9. Rowl - had numerous releases on big labels like M.U.D and ICU Audio, not so much ‘overlooked’, but definitely one to ‘look out for’… (http://soundcloud.com/rowlversa)
10. Collision - his grime stuff is some of the best I’ve heard in a while and again he came to my attention via that Sub Lab free EP some time ago, his darker 140 tunes are equally as polished… (http://soundcloud.com/collisionuk)
Gonna start doing this properly now then: every week after every 4D show I’m gonna have the archive up here along with a full tracklist and download link, so those who missed the broadcast when it was live can grab everything..
As always, pretty random selection; decided to kick things off with some grime sounds (old and new), then go in with the usual sort of stuff and just mix it up, so yeah, check the tracklist if you wanna know more and pull the download..
-A$AP Rocky feat. Drake, 2 Chainz & Kendrick Lamar – Fuckin’ Problems [RCA] -SBTRKT – Wildfire [Young Turks] -Dusk & Blackdown – Focus [Keysound] -Funkystepz – Bizzaro [Forever Live Young] -Wen – Spark It [Keysound] -Happa – Beat Of The Drum [Church] -Preditah – Nosy Parker VIP [Earth 616] -SLK – Vibes [Pitch Controller] -Ruff Sqwad – Cheque [No Hats No Hoods] -Lyeform – Smart Talk [Forthcoming ‘Smart Talk’ EP via 4D] -Wen – Road [Keysound] -Ribz – Shot To Get Paid [Pitch Controller] -Preditah – Solitaire [StayFresh] -Darq E Freaker – Cherryade [Oil Gang] -D-lux – Throwaway Remix [DUB] -Spooky – Playground [No Hats No Hoods] -M.I.K – Donny Don (Pedro 123 Remix) [Get Some] -Preditah – Vinyls [Adamantium] -Footsie & Discarda - Mr Miyagi [Free Download via ‘ZB2’ EP] -Rude Kid – Electric [No Hats No Hoods] -M.I.K & Discarda – Lord Of The Hypes [Plainface] -Plastician – Hard Kore [Terrorhythm] -Big Narstie – Ultragas [Dice Recordings] -Ruff Sqwad – Functions On The Low [No Hats No Hoods] -M.I.K – Mor£ (Accapella) [Launchpad Records] -Nanobyte – Lost Time [Innamind] -Dark Entity & Hadda – Obeah [DUB] -Aces.R – Durins Bane [DUB] -FJH - Porksta [DUB] -Aiko – Diagonal [Forthcoming Basal] -Thelem – Limit Cycles [Free DL] -Deafblind – Exposure [Forthcoming Sub Pressure] -Mesck & Kial – Entropy [DUB] -Mentha & Murk – 1992 (Ipman Remix) [Forthcoming Subaltern] -Ollie 303 – Black Spot [DUB] -Genetix – 24/7 Re-flex [Biscuit Factory] -Swindle & Sam Frank – Toungue Tied [Butterz Freebie] -Collision – Apex [‘Politics’ EP via Bandcamp] -Deafblind & Mesck – Distant Cry [DUB] -D-Operation Drop – The Addition [DUB] -Cyrus – Paradise Dub [Tectonic] -Mentha – Tale [DUB] -Christopher Yikes – All Of The People [DUB] -D-Operation Drop – 786 [Forthcoming Soulstep] -Proxima – Formal Junction [Tempa] -Underslung & Baksta – Event [DUB] -Biome – Chosen [M.U.D] -Funkagenda – What The Fuck [Skint] -Mak & Pasteman – Lost (Youandewan Dub) [XLR8R Freebie] -My Nu Leng & Majora – Hips N Thighs  -Doshy – Suspiria [Rwina] -Skream – Glamma [Tempa] -Cyrus – Manhatten Blues [Deep Medi] -MJ Cole & Wiley – From The Drop [Prolific] -Hijak – Babylon Timewarp [Deep Medi] -Jay 5ive & Kromestar – Bass 96 [Bass N Love] -Goth-Trad – Two Face [Deep Medi] -Mala – Forgive [Deep Medi] -Silkie – Taxi Me Get [Deep Medi] -Lucid Theory – Scars [Free DL] -Lyeform – Roll With Me [Forthcoming ‘Smart Talk’ EP via 4D] -Krytikal – Pulse K [DUB] -Footsie – Dedicated [Free Download via ‘ZB2’ EP] -C4 – Oh Yh [Oorite]
Dusk FM show from last week - thought I’d keep the archive up-to-date instead of uploading the older ones so here’s the latest; includes new music from Aiko, Arkwright, Drooka, Karma, Ollie 303, SHD, Mentha and all the usual people..
Literally just got back from Paris an hour before recording this so allow some of the dodgey mixes haha..